Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My home

OK being born a yankee does not mean it was my choise. I was not born a texan, but I got here as quick as I could.
Here are a few reasons why I love texas. Beaumont to El Paso 742 miles , Beaumont to chicago 770 miles, El Paso is closer to the state of california than to tha city of Dallas , Worlds first rodeo was in Pecos..july 4 1883, The flagship hotel in galveston is the only hotel in north america built over water, the heisman trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for rice university in houston ,Brazoria county has more species of birds than any other area in north america, aransas wildlife refuge is the winter home of north america's only remaining flock of whooping cranes,jalapeno jelly was originated in lake jackson in 1978, the first spoken word from the moon was houston, here's one for a yankee ! the king ranch is bigger than the state of rhode island,Texas is the only state to inter the U.S. by treaty, instead of annexation( this alows the texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag),caddo lake is the only natural lake in the state,dr pepper was invented in waco in 1885, texas has had six capital citys,washington on the brazos,harrisburg,galveston,velasco,west columbia,austin,the capitol dome in austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the capitol building in D.C. (by 7 feet), an last but not least the name TEXAS comes from the Hasini indian word " tejas" meaning friends.

6 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Yet, you still call yourself a YANKEE!! HMMM! That's OK, I still love you because there is always hope. Buy a Chevrolet and we will talk.

P.S. Gordon didn't bump anybody, and still won.

Jim

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I did think it was funny that Super G wouldn't let Johnson pass him for the 5 points.

J

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger The Oldies said...

Maybe even his car owner has figured out what a jerk he is

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Thanks for the cool facts Dad. What inspired you to do that blog? That was a neat blog!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger The Oldies said...

I thought it was a bunch ogf good stuff that I wanted to share with everyone who like me is proud to be a texan

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kim :) said...

OH I LIke all these little facts Bill!! :) I knew some of them, but most of them were intersting to learn. And I DO like being a Texan as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home